Glass balustrades are a popular choice of railing, and for many good reasons. For one, they provide a variety of options. In terms of design, you can choose from frame-less to fully-framed, as well as textured and curved. When it comes to glass type, your choices include structural, safety and tempered.
The versatility of glass balustrade means you can put them in any place you want: around balconies, along staircases or around pools. When you install them in your Auckland home, you do not have to worry about obstructed views of your property.
To keep your glass balustrades as durable and attractive as new, follow these cleanings and maintenance tips:
- Use a mild detergent.
- Use a soft cloth or non-abrasive plastic scrubber.
- Use a water and vinegar mixture for exterior balustrades that have accumulated dirt and dust.
- Consider adding a layer of glass wax to your balustrade surface to minimise the need for constant cleaning.
- Do not clean glass with corrosive alcohol-based/acidic solutions.
- Do not use commercial glass cleaners for they leave residues behind.
- Cleaning Guide
For a dedicated cleaning session, here’s what you must do:
1. Create a cleaning solution by diluting 3 to 4 drops of liquid soap in warm water (1 quart)
2. Wash all surface areas with a soft cloth or sponge dipped in the cleaning solution.
3. Rinse off cleaning solution with warm water. For exterior balustrades, you can hose down the glass surface for a quicker rinse.
4. Dry the glass using either a soft dry cloth or electric air dry.
5. Remove residues and streaks with a lint-free cloth.
The frequent changes in the weather may affect the quality, appearance and stability of your glass balustrades in Auckland, which is why maintenance should be more proactive. Perform regular inspections to spot problems and find solutions before they get worse.