Korean skincare, also known as K-beauty, has influenced many women’s beauty routines today, from the brands they use to the famous 10-step skincare routine. This trend claims to keep the skin young and healthy for women — and men. However, the basic skincare routine—cleanse, tone, and moisturize—is already too much for most guys. What more a meticulous 10-step routine?
Is the K-beauty trend suitable for men?
South Korean Men Lead the Male Beauty Market
Skincare is not only for women because men’s skin also needs extra care. You shouldn’t limit your skincare with only soap, the occasional lotion, and usual aftershave. South Korean men know this because they invest time and money taking care of their skin.
A CNN report cites S. Korean men have become the biggest male spenders on skincare globally. The report says the market grew 44 percent in Korea between 2011 and 2017. It also mentions that about three-quarters of S. Korean men get a beauty or grooming treatment at least once a week.
K-pop partly influenced this trend. Men try to emulate the look of Korean male idols. Apart from that, this trend also helps S. Korean men have an advantage in a tough job market. Enhancing your appearance creates a positive impression.
You don’t need to follow the lengthy process of the Korean skincare. You just have to find products suitable for your skin so that the routine becomes more effective. The American Academy of Dermatology (ADA) explains men’s skin is thicker than women’s.
Choose Products According to Your Skin Type
Korea introduced several amazing skincare ingredients to the market, including green tea, snail mucus (which helps in hydration), and egg white. A variety of skincare products from Korea are widely available today, both in stores and online.
Due to the popularity of K-beauty, more brands have emerged, making your options overwhelming. It’s helpful to understand your skin type, so you can find the products your skin needs.
According to ADA, the skin types are:
- Normal – this skin type is clear and not sensitive
- Oily – the skin is shiny and greasy
- Dry skin – the skin is flaky, rough, or itchy
- Sensitive skin – the skin tend to sting or burn after using a product
- Combination skin – some skin areas are dry while others are oily
Find products formulated specifically for your skin type. They will contain ingredients that address the unique needs of your skin to keep it healthy.
Korean Skincare for Men
A Korean skincare routine involves more than just cleansing and moisturizing. If you’re curious to try the 10-step routine, here are the products you should include:
- Oil cleanser – it removes dirt, debris, and bacteria from the skin.
- Water cleanser – it eliminates remaining water-based dirt.
- Exfoliate – removes dead skin and helps the skin to absorb other products more efficiently. For best result, use once or twice a week.
- Toner – helps regulate your skin’s pH and prepares it for the next steps.
- Essence – it hydrates and strengthens the skin.
- Serums – it treats problematic areas directly.
- Sheet masks – this allows your skin to absorb concentrated ingredients. Use twice a week.
- Eye cream – helps hydrates and brightens the eye area.
- Moisturizer – it seals the moisture for smooth and plump skin.
- SPF – protects your skin against UVA and UVB damage. Apply during the day, especially when going out.
You don’t need to perform all these steps because too many products may irritate your skin. Test out different combinations and see what works for you, then stick with it.
Men should pay more attention to their skin to keep it healthy and maintain their youthful appearance. Korean skincare is a great way to help you achieve clear and glowing skin.