One commonly overlooked area of home maintenance is the cleaning of dryer ventilation amenities. The simple fact that these dryer vents are not commonly seen leads many homeowners to neglect pulling it out and giving it the cleaning it needs to function properly.
According to government estimates, there are about 3000 residential fires that occur annually which are directly related to dryers. They cause over a hundred injuries and at least five fatalities each year. The highest number occurs in January and about 34% of these are caused by a dirty dryer vent. Here’s a further discussion on the importance of dryer vent cleaning.
Dryers release extremely high temperatures are considered fire hazards. Like any other appliance, homeowners should practice safety precautions and regular maintenance services to make sure that they ‘re running in optimum conditions.
High Energy Cost and Health Risks
If your dryer vent is clogged due to dirt and other debris, more energy is required for it to function. Materials that get stuck inside the dryer vent are fertile breeding grounds for mould and mildew. This can endanger the health of your entire family. If you have a gas operated model, it’s also possible for carbon monoxide gas to seep into your home, which could be fatal.
To avoid such dangers, there should be a regular vent cleaning services at specific intervals each year. This will make sure that these and other risks are minimised, if not avoided completely. It’s recommended to clean these vents at least every six months. If you use your dryer daily, the recommended cleaning interval is three to four times each year.
Dry vent cleaning is a necessity because the trap is unable to capture all of the lint generated when drying clothes. As the moist air passes out of the dryer via the vent hose, tiny lint particles are carried with it as well. Over time, there is lint build up that occurs within the vent itself, resulting in reduced air flow and e blockage. The lint is also considered a fire hazard, as it’s known to be highly flammable and can quickly spread. Avoid all these risks by cleaning your vent regularly.