Mold is a common and naturally occurring substance that spreads fairly quickly and sneakily if left unattended. While mostly non-toxic, mold can trigger asthma and allergies in affected people. Surfaces exposed to extended periods of moisture and humidity – basements, bathrooms, cabinets under the sink, and other areas recently flooded by water – are breeding grounds for mold.
Black mold is a more toxic variety and causes respiratory problems that get worse over time. These types of mold typically announce themselves with a distinctive musty smell, and upon visual inspection appear as slimy, dark spots on surfaces.
To stop the spread of these spotty, toxic fungus in your home, gear up and remove them as soon as you suspect an infestation.
Scour your home for the mold’s source. Pay attention to corners where formations of dark-greenish growth are present. Try to sniff out the source of a musty, mildew scent. Cabinets, baseboards, and the undersides of sinks are common breeding grounds for mold.
Upon spotting the growth of mold, it’s time to formulate an anti-mold solution. Tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract are among several useful, non-toxic agents for disinfecting and deodorizing affected areas. For the solution, add one teaspoon of either tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract for every one cup of water.
Wear disposable coveralls, safety goggles, facemask, and rubber gloves before attempting to remove any mold growth. This gear, as allhoursplumbingslc.com reminds, protects you from potential health risks brought by exposure to this toxic type of mold.
Shake the bottle of anti-mold solution, and then spray on the offending areas. Shake the bottle in between sprays to maintain the optimal mixture of the solution. Let the solution permeate the mold for 5 to 10 minutes, allowing the antibacterial attributes purge the toxic spores.
Brush and scrape off the mold on all affected surfaces with a nylon-bristled brush. Be careful not to splash mold on your surroundings, as dead mold still poses significant allergenic risks. After scrubbing the area, wipe it clean with used rags or paper towels.
Avoid rinsing the area with water, as oil/extract solution prevents the growth of mold. Rinse it with another light spray of the solution instead, and then let the area dry with air.
Proper disposal of the coveralls and paper towels is necessary, and make sure to dump them in a tightly sealed bag together with the trash. If you don’t want to wash the used rags and scrubber for safety, you can throw them in the trash as well.
Since mold is an ever-present substance, keep in mind that there’s every chance it might return. Remember every instance when leaks or floods invade your home and purge these unwanted infestations using your newly-acquired mold-fighting knowledge.